We all love something a bit unusual, it makes life far more interesting! Although we love making and talking about luxurious sheepskin slippers, it is nice when we get a bespoke project or one of our more quirky products coming through in an order. Here are a few of our favourite products that are a little different to the norm!
|The Sheepskin Footmuff |
One of the most under-appreciated products in our arsenal of goodies, not only is it beautifully warm but just perfect for those who sit for long periods of time. We have had lovely stories from customers, who after purchasing their Mum/Dad a Footmuff have been delighted with the response – in particular they are great for those who may be infirm.
Every Footmuff is hand cut, made, finished, trimmed here in the Workshop and has been since 1988. Our footmuff is designed to be used with both feet placed inside, perfect when watching the TV on a chilly evening. They are made from the finest Tan Twin Face Sheepskin on the market, making them wonderfully warm yet still soft and supple. The seams are bound for extra protection. Finished with the British Sheepskin fur collar, which can be left down or rolled up for extra warmth.
We’re the only ones making these beautiful muffs, most have been outsourced to China, ours remain British made – and proud!
Our Footmuff is practically famous, considering one has been given on the Graham Norton Show to both Jerry Hall and the cast of Cold Feet as a gift!
Available here for £75.99
|Personalised Slippers |
Our bespoke Leather Slippers although they may seem fairly ordinary on first glance, are in fact far from it!
We make these fabulous slippers in a huge variety of colours, including Fushcia, Gold, Mulberry Purple, Navy, White, Brown, Orange, Yellow and Silver! Even better, each part of the slipper can be a different colour, so we never quite know what combination we will be asked for. We’ve had some eye-watering combos that have been anything but “normal”! At least you’ll never get them mixed up with another member of the family – although we can’t promise they won’t have slipper envy!
All handmade here in the Workshop with British sheepskin and English leather from world famous Pittards, they are both exceptional quality and incredibly strong.
Available here from £57.50
|Sheepland Sheep Footstool |
Our namesake, the origin of the Sheepland dates back to these beautiful Sheep footstools. Originally we made these into rocking sheep, which became very popular, hence why we became “Sheepland”. We even had one of our gorgeous Luxury Sheepskin Footstools in Harrods as a display for a very well known bedding company, it sat in residence for many years. To this day Johnstons of Elgin have one of our Sheepskin Footstools in prime position to highlight their luxurious natural woollen fashion.
These wonderful sheep are made from beautiful long fur ivory rugs, black toscana sheepskin for the feet, dense shearling on the legs and finished with British trimming sheepskins. They have a handmade wooden frame inside, which is then hand padded and stuffed. We then make the head, ears, tail and face, again, all by hand. This sheep is entirely British made here in our Somerset Workshop.
Available here for £399.99
|Handmade Sheepskin Teddy |
Once again this is one of our original line up, well, they do say the classics are always the best! So way back when, we started out by making individually sheepskin Teddies for local shops to sell. Nowadays sadly the local shops have closed and we can no longer produce them for a wholesale price. However this humble chap remains, a fully jointed, hand stuffed, hand cut Teddy bear, made from special “Baby-Safe” sheepskin.
We just love the reaction we get when this fluffy gentleman is unwrapped, he makes quite an impression at fayres and trade events we can assure you! The tacile fur calms babies and is naturally fire resistant, antibacterial and of course looks stunning! Have a look how they are made here.
Available here for £99.99
These are just a few of our lesser known handmade sheepskin goodies, we love holding onto our history and our heritage through continuing these more unusual crafts, especially our namesake!
Released On 1st Nov 2017
Why we should help support British Manufacturing
Nestled in the hills of Somerset, we work from our cottage Workshop, enjoying the slow countryside buzz and hum of tractors. By working from our small Workshop we have been able to make small cottage crafts without the overheads, costs and related stress of a traditional shop. This has allowed us to grow the business in a more organic way from when it first began in 1986. We strongly believe in supporting British manufacturing, being manufacturers ourself, we know the benefits first hand! We are lucky enough to be involved with Make it British, who do their utmost to help promote and facilitate trade between customers and British manufacturers. We also joined the Bradshaws “Buy British” Campaign, which was really interesting – not to mention all the fun we had when they visited us!
There are lots of great reasons to help support British Manufacturing, here are just a few of our favourite reasons:
- By searching out British made products you can be directly helping secure jobs in Britain, which in turn would help to boost the economy. In our own industry we have noticed a huge decline in the amount of trained machinists, if more manufacturing was kept within this country, there would be more training to keep up with the skills needed.
- Our carbon footprintmay not immediately come to mind, but by buying closer to home we are avoiding long haul transport and subsequently reducing our carbon footprint. This will not only benefit our local business, but of course our future generations and the world we live in!
- Customer Serviceis important in any business, but if you have a problem with an order from a foreign company, you may need to tackle a language barrier and/or transport to return it, which can be a nightmare! We would like to think that our British businesses will not only be easier to deal with but much more straightforward when it comes to returning an item.
- Bespoke. Again it doesn’t immediately come to mind, but being able to ask for a bespoke product is quite a luxury! We have lots of requests for personalised products, sheepskin swaps, colour additions, these are all possible because we manufacture right here in our Workshop. If we didn’t have this option, you would not be able to buy/alter a product to your very own taste/desire.
- Quality is synonymous with Britain, thanks to our ancestors, we have a fabulous reputation around the world – and rightly so! By supporting British manufacturing we can rest easy that the quality is second to none. One of the highlights of our calender is selecting by hand the fabulous fleeces, suede and leather, all can be hand picked, allowing us to ensure the very best quality.
Now there are far more reasons why we should take the opportunity to do our bit to help British manufacturing, but these are just our top five! We know that our customers love the whole package, from our top quality made traditional range slippers to our friendly and personal service, so we’ll do our best to keep the British spirit alive!
Released On 5th Mar 2018
You may also be interested in
We are pleased to announce our Membership to the Make It British Directory – the go to source for British Manufacturers, British Business and Trade Shows.
Released On 27th Sep 2017
We are lucky enough to be near our very own local sheepskin tannery, where we can hand select specific pelts and fleeces. We love seeing the craftspeople hand trim and tan each skin using the traditional methods. Here is a little more about why we love our local British Sheepskin Tannery and all the hard work that they do in tanning our fleeces.
Released On 9th Aug 2017
The Bradshaw Family were fascinated at this traditional business, the skills used to handmake our slippers winning the day. After a quick chat with the local Western Gazette and Mendip Times we… Read More
Released On 25th Aug 2015